Tuesday 11 January 2011

My First Taste of Wagyu!

Having heard so much about this product it was time to take the plunge into my funds and get eating. Having found a great butchers shop in Albury Victoria, called Yalandra Fine Foods, here is how I got on.



So to answer a few of your questions:

What makes Wahyu beef so good?
Wagyu is a breed of beef cattle known worldwide for its marbling characteristics, delicious flavour, tenderness and juiciness, and thus has a high market value.

Well as you can see from the below marbling is what is key about this meat. I would love to test try this on a few of our butchers at home as I am sure a few would be sent straight back....

Price wise I was presently surprised in the butchers, having heard some ridiculous prices being quoted in restaurants at over £100 / kg. So heading home with my sirloins at £40 / kg I was ready for the experience. What ever you say about Wagyu it is certainly a huge achievement in marketing at launching a new product at a price totally unrelated to any previous meat product.

Normally I would cook a steak in a very hot pan, but as they say "when in Rome" you have to go with the locals. So stubbie in hand and sporting a brand new Akubra, the BBQ was the only cooking tool to be used!!
Not the best bbq skills with the flames, but a very smart new Akubra!!
So what did I think....Well if I am honest I was not blown away with Wow factor, but there is no disputing that it is a great steak, with a punch of flavour. Eating this with an experience Wagyu eater, I was told that these were not the best so I will no give complete judgement just yet and we will retry this experience in Asia. But to quote an Aussie....a bloody good steak!!

No comments:

Post a Comment